Artificial Intelligence is the face of the future of tech. No wonder it’s been used at many different aspects of our lives now with the military not an exception. AI can make the impossible, possible. It can do what humans can’t do that’s why the military has taken advantage of it to reshape the advancement of war.
AI can hold vast amounts of data more efficiently without forgetting even the smallest details. Not to mention its ability to improve self-control, self-regulation, and overall computing and decision-making capabilities, which makes it an ideal tech to be used on combat.
AI is now found in almost every military application, and the government has been funding it to develop much advanced AI-driven military applications to increase and enhance the military’s combat systems. With that said, here are eight ways how artificial intelligence can become the next big thing for the military in the years to come.
Improved Warfare Platforms
- The military has been using AI to enhance weapons and tactic systems in the field of combat like the ones used on land, naval, airborne, and even space. AI help these systems to become more efficient during the war, making it require less maintenance and more action to be done. Because of AI, high-speed weapons are much improved, making it perform fast and efficient carrying collaborative attacks.
- Various military systems are prone to cyber attacks, leading to loss of data and information inflicting damage to the system as a whole. But with the help of AI, it protects the system deep down from its roots starting from the network, programs, computers, and any kinds of data that is present in its entirety. Additionally, AI has the ability to record such cyber attacks and develop tools to rebound into the enemy.
Efficient Logistics and Transportation
- Transportation plays a vital role in the field of military. This is because transportation helps ammunition, goods, armaments, and troops to reach their desired camp. With the help of AI, it lowers transportation costs and reduces human operational efforts. In addition to that, it also lets military fleets to detect nearby anomalies, enabling the military to take quick action once a problem has been found.
Gives Accurate Target Recognition
- AI provides enhanced target accuracy to military weapons. With this technique, it provides the military with the ability to analyze enemy behavior and to improve target positions. Not only that, but it also detects the enemy’s vulnerabilities, their mission approaches, and suggested mitigation strategies. And with AI’s machine learning capabilities, it learns and tracks targets from the data obtained from the field.
Supports Battlefield Healthcare
- Technology advancements such as Robotic Surgical Systems (RSS) and Robotic Ground Platforms (RGP) has been used by the military to aid their injured soldiers. With this piece of tech, it provides remote surgical support as well as evacuation activities. The military in the US is the first to develop and use this tech and other various systems in the battlefield healthcare. And also, AI can also read soldier’s medical records and assists in aiding their conditions especially complex ones.
Improved Combat Simulation and Training
- Combat simulation and training is a virtual system that trains soldiers how to fight in the battlefield, showing accurate and smart computerized models that acquaint soldiers during training. This piece of tech is an AI-driven one, and the US government has been investing massive amounts of cash for such training application. And also, the US Navy and Army have teamed up to create specialized sensor simulation programs partnering with huge companies such as Leidos, SAIC, AECOM, and Orbital ATK.
Threat Monitoring & Situational Awareness
- AI plays a vital role when it comes to threat monitoring & situational awareness on the battlefield. Combining this with Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) operations, it can process information which supports the military’s wide range of activities. These ISR missions can be operated remotely thanks to the help of AI. Additionally, it can detect threats and enhances situational awareness on the battlefield.
Efficient Data Information Processing
- Data and information processing has never been more accessible, thanks to AI and its machine learning capabilities. With AI, the military can aggregate and gather information from a wide range of different datasets and acquire as much as sum supersets of information from various sources. With this technology, the military can recognize patterns and make correlations that assist in field planning and battle.